Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Different Kind of Post

I'm writing this post not for pity or anything like that but to get some things off my chest. So don't feel like you have to read this post by any means. Plus I was once told by some friends that blogging should not just be about the happy things in life. A blog can also show that you are going through real life. So this post serves as a reminder that yes I am going through real life situations just like you.

I graduated with my Bachelor's degree this year in Biology and I have been very proud of that moment. It was always my dream to hold a Bachelor's degree in my hand and continue on with my education. MY plan was to go on and complete a Master's in Genetic Counseling which I have felt would be a career I would love. When we were first married, Micah and I talked about both attending the University of Utah and completing our Masters there. That plan all changed when Micah received an internship with Celanese. Micah has loved working for Celanese and they treat him very well. MY plans and what I had dreamed about for a long time changed. MY plan was to move back to Utah and be near my family while we completed our degrees and that is where we would stay. I even joked about living next to friends and sharing the same backyard. I wanted to be there for all of the birthdays and exciting events that would happen in my families lives. But Micah was handed a great opportunity to complete a second internship with Celanese and received some positive feedback about possibly getting a job afterward. You can ask Micah that I wasn't super fond of this idea at first because the closest place we would be able to live, while he worked for Celanese, would be Texas. Not the plan that I dreamed of. We did a lot of praying and had a peace of mind that we needed to pursue the opportunity with Celanese. This was a total paradigm shift for me. I give a lot of thanks to my Mom on this one because she flat out told me that this was a good opportunity for us where Micah could have a well paying job right out of college. She also reminded me that maybe this is what we need to do for now and maybe something will come along that will bring us back closer to family later. After that I started thinking about the positive things and that MY plan isn't always the best plan.

Micah found out he would be doing his second internship in Texas which I was pretty excited about. While we have been here we have fallen in love with this part of Texas and don't want our time here to end. Since it has been such a good experience and we have both felt that we could come back and live here, Micah decided to talk with his boss about a possible job after graduation. He received some great feedback from his boss and he was pretty happy. A couple of weeks ago the plant in Virginia, where Micah did his first internship, posted a job for a Safety Engineer. We talked about it and decided he should apply just in case a job here doesn't work out. Micah sent in his application and a couple of days later some friends from that plant called him saying they had been asking about Micah and that he would probably receive a job offer in the next week or so. We were both excited and it was nice knowing that a job would be there for Micah, but we both were still hoping to stay in Texas. We are still waiting for that official phone call so the excitement might be a little premature. Micah went and update his boss about the situation with him applying at Virginia but stated that his preference would be to stay here. From what Micah shared it sounded like his boss was looking into ways on how to keep him in Texas, but yesterday Micah came home a little disappointed. His boss wasn't sure if there would be a job available here soon enough for him. He may have to go to Virginia and look into maybe transferring to Texas later, but nothing was for sure either way yet. This was a little hard to hear because I had changed my mindset and was excited about having Micah work for Celanese and WE wanted to stay here in Texas really bad. It was hard to think that OUR plan may not work out.

This spurred up some other feelings. My career goal of Genetic Counseling seems pretty slim in my eyes right now. It is a pretty competitive program and I don't feel like my application right now would make the cut. I have had to put off continuing my education until we know where Micah will end up working. The plant in Virginia is not close to any Genetic Counseling Programs. So I have started to look into other options just in case. What about becoming a Science Teacher, a Dental Hygienist, or even changing directions and go in to Social Work. It came to a point where I was disappointed that MY plan wasn't working out the way I wanted it to. I realized that isn't a good way to think and I turned to the gospel for some help and comfort. I love that I can pray to my Heavenly Father and let Him know how I am doing that I always receive some type of comfort in many different ways.

I was reading in the July Ensign an article by Stephanie J. Burns entitled "When Good Plans Don't Work Out." In the article she stated that in life there are many good ways for life to work out. No one likes to resort to Plan B but that even when our plan falls through Heavenly Father does not abandon His children. So maybe MY plan is not going how I want it to but maybe that plan B might be Heavenly Fathers Plan A. A plan that allows me to become who He knows that I can become. It changed my perspective on things and that I can have faith that things will work out the way that is best for me, Micah and our future family. Maybe I'm not meant to become a Genetic Counselor, and maybe there are more opportunities for me to grow in Virginia. I am grateful for the many blessings that we have received and I hope that I don't sound ungrateful. We couldn't be more lucky on how things have turned out. I am just a person that has a hard time with change. I guess we will see what happens.

4 comments:

Amberly said...

I like your last paragraph! This is something that I've learned in the five years since I've been graduated from school, especially the year that I started school and met Joe. I had grand plans for myself that year and I had great plans and thought I knew how my life was going to go, and it didn't go that way! I was always hesitant and frustrated when things turned out differently, but then I knew that the Lord knew what I really needed and when I look back on it, I know that my life went EXACTLY how it was supposed to go!!!
Now I've planned out the big details of the next three or four years of my life and already I think that I know that they're not going to go exactly as planned, and it scares me, but I know it's going to be a grand adventure and I'll enjoy every minute of it. I don't know how some things are going to happen, but they will and it will be good!
Love you scrubby buddy! And I know that one day we will be able to live close to each other!! :)

Kylie said...

i knew i sensed something else in your texts. This explains alot of what you said to me earlier. Change has never been much of a friend of mine. I know how you feel. It reminds me of something corrie told me once. "Life doesn't always go the way we plan, and sometimes more often than not we have to go where we don't really want to." i always learn alot from you when it comes to the gospel. :)i love you and I'm always here for ya like i said earlier :)

Chels said...

This is probably the hardest and on going lesson Heavenly Father is teaching me. My plan A never seems to happen. I've learned that usually his path for me might usually isn't the easiest but it's definitely the better one. If my life were to be how I had it planned 5 years ago, I'd be in Africa saving children and working on my tan but now I'm married, a mother, and pale white and I wouldn't change a thing.

Vee said...

I know that I am late reading this, but it's kinda fun to read it now when you have already discovered what His plan is for you at this moment in time. Waiting for things to work out can be a huge trial of faith. It is one that I have to keep reliving. I know that it will work out and you will get your chance, but you have to be ready to jump on that opportunity when it comes and be flexible enough to recognize it as an opportunity. There is a time and a season for everything. And it is different for everyone. You and Micah are so wonderful. You will have some experiences of a lifetime in Texas. Enjoy and know that your sister misses you like crazy!

Post a Comment

Followers

Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones