Micah was gone for about two days for a career conference with the company he is doing his internship with. This meant that I needed to find something to do with the extra hours which I normally would have spent with Micah. I have been wanting to do a framed monogram for a long time and thought now was the best chance.
What you will need:
1) Frame you like (I found a cheap one at Walmart)
2) Wooden letter from Hobby Lobby
3) Burlap (I bought mine at JoAnn's)
4) Hot glue gun
5) paint colors you would like
6) Spray paint
7) Sandpaper
1. I sanded the wooden letter and then painted it with Sealer which made the letter easier to paint. I let it dry. Then paint the letter with the base coat color of your choice. Let it dry. I was going to use some crackle medium, but that did not turn out so well. I changed my mind and went pretty basic this time.
2. I took out the glass from the frame and used sand paper to roughen up the surface. You don't have to do this for a plastic frame but I did to help the paint stick better. Then I spray painted the frame black. I did a couple of layers and let the paint dry in between.
3. While the framed dried I cut out the size of Burlap fabric I wanted. I used the glass from the frame as a template, but cute a little bigger in case the burlap frayed.
4. I then spray painted the wooden letter black to match the frame. I originally used acrylic paint but the crackle medium didn't work and I had a hard time getting a smooth surface. So instead I went to the spray paint.
6. I then hot glued the burlap to the glass of the frame being sure to pull it tight so there were no bubbles in the fabric went the glass was put into the frame. Then I hot glued the letter to the burlap and put the frame back together.
It didn't turn out quite as I had imagined it but I still like it a lot! I am excited to work on a collage of other framed monograms and pictures to add to the wall later. Micah approved of it so that is good and I am excited to have my Best Friend home and have another person to talk with.



2 comments:
Wow!!!! Nice job :) I'm impressed friend! Way to be!
i don't think you give yourself enough credit on how creative you are.:) good job!
Post a Comment